Diaper bags, baby carriers, floral robes, fuzzy slippers, pacifiers, sleep sacks…there are so many different opinions on what you need to bring to the hospital when you’re ready to welcome your new babe! When you’re a first-time mama, the unknown of the birthing/hospital experience can be overwhelming! Our resident health expert, Nancy Anderson (@nancyandersonfit), took to her Instagram stories to ask seasoned mamas what they REALLY needed in their hospital bag. We took those suggestions and created the mother of all hospital bag checklists! So here’s what you REALLY need in your hospital bag:
- 10-foot phone charger- genius.
- 1-2 swaddles- the hospital ones are not the best, they fall off super easily!
- A bath towel- the hospital ones are small and tough.
- Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, shower gel, razor, shampoo)- depending on the hospital, they may provide these items, but they aren’t the best quality.
- Slippers or Flip Flops- no one wants to walk on the hospital floor with bare feet!
- Nursing pillow- you can definitely use the hospital pillows, but a Boppy works better.
- Nipple Shields- lactation consultants usually are anti-nipple-shields, not sure why. BUT, when you’re in the first few weeks of the fourth trimester, breastfeeding your new little baby can get tricky! There’s no shame in a nipple shield, it can really make your breastfeeding journey a positive one!
- Healthy Snacks- hospital food can get old!
- Going home outfit for you + baby
- Pajamas or Loungewear- no need to wear the hospital robe the entire time, get comfy!
- Magazines, books, iPad, etc.- to pass the time before baby arrives, but also try to take a nap!
The hospital (at least from our experience) gives you everything else! Diapers, wipes, hats, pads, even those belly bands. Pack light! We discuss topics like this in the “Mommons” (AKA Commons) section of Move Your Bump! With an instant support system of other women, this section of MYB is the perfect place to get input & advice from other moms and our community coaches! To see all that Move Your Bump has to offer, visit moveyourbump.mom.
If you have another must-have item to suggest, drop it in the comments below!