fbpx

Move Your Bump Community

Kid's birthdays!  

RSS

Nicole Dlugos
(@myb-team-nicole)
22/01/2019 6:37 pm  

Hi Moms! Unrelated to nutrition, fitness, self-care...what birthday's do you celebrate for your kids and what are your rules of thumb? How much is too much to spend and where do you draw the line on invites? New mom here of an almost ONE year old! 

This topic was modified 6 months ago by Nicole Dlugos

admin and Sandyf525 liked
ReplyQuote
kweaver
(@kweaver)
Active Member Move Your Bump
22/01/2019 7:10 pm  

Hi Nicole!

I have been recently going through this thought process a lot. We have two kids, and a third on the way so parties are going to start to get out of control. We have a rather large family, so we celebrate 1st birthdays with family and close friends (usually at our house). However, after the first birthday, I really don't believe in the huge parties with all our friends and family. Until they are in school and actually want a "friend birthday party" I tend to lean toward just celebrating with family. My kids are so blessed, and have too much already, so I just want to avoid them getting too spoiled (and it saves me a lot of stress). My children still have a great time, and feel special, so it's a win-win. I'd actually just prefer to do a small celebration with our immediate family, but the grandparents would not be happy with that. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Nicole Dlugos
(@myb-team-nicole)
22/01/2019 8:10 pm  

Thank you so much for your insight! I totally agree on the spoiling, as much fun as celebrating is, all the toys and presents could definitely get out of hand/overwhelming! We are planning a small-ish party at home but the creative part of me just don't want to set the bar too high on the first birthday/first kid haha. Trying to rationalize my ideas (potential costs) with my husband, we're going to do a lot of DIY stuff- wish us luck! PS. Congratulations on your growing family, hope you are feeling great! 

ReplyQuote
kweaver
(@kweaver)
Active Member Move Your Bump
22/01/2019 11:28 pm  

Thank you! With my first, I definitely did that over the top creative birthday. And...I'm glad I did because I had the time and energy. With my second, he had dollar store decorations, catered food, and I loved it just as much. Do what you have time for, but remember that he won't remember so don't beat yourself up if you can't get to all the DIY decor. 🙂  Have fun!

ReplyQuote
Val Fawcett
(@myb-team-valerie)
23/01/2019 2:32 am  

We stick to low-key family parties. On their actual birthday we give them free reign to do what they want - this year my son wanted to go to his favorite playground and out to lunch. Super easy! This year I even combined my 4 and 1 year olds parties because their birthdays are 4 weeks apart. I did simple decorations for both of them in different rooms. Honestly, kids just care about balloons and streamers. We added a pinata this year because my 4-year-old asked for it but really don't do anything too fancy. It's amazing what you can find online for decorations that are free printable or cheap to print at Staples. Put some card stock behind it and you have a decoration 🙂 Keep it simple, focus on your kiddo and the people around. You won't regret it 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Melidouman
(@melidouman)
New Member Move Your Bump
23/01/2019 4:46 am  

What a milestone! So much fun to celebrate indeed. We did the first birthday with family, cousins and close friends. However after that, we’ve kept the birthdays much more kid friendly, with the theme of my sons choice, and my best rule of thumb that I tend to stick to is keeping the age range of the kids consistent within a two year year period. It does eliminate  a lot of friends with with Kids etc. But everyone understands. This way you can pick activities and a potential place for the party that is appropriate for all attendeees. For instance for his 2 year birthday we only had families who had kids up to 4 years. We have a large circle of friends and it does get impossible to celebrate with everyone ..and that’s OK!

ReplyQuote
CharlieP
(@charliep)
Active Member Fourth Trimester
23/01/2019 5:46 pm  

I always thought birthdays for a one year old was lame... until I had a one year old 🤣 . What we've decided to do in our home is celebrate the first birthday because HOORAY! You made it one whole year! We will have a party with close friends and family. Then the next time we have parties will be when they turn 5 and 10. We obviously will celebrate their birthdays each year, just low key and with only family. As they get older we'll re-evaluate.

I'm looking forward to having our second baby's 1st year party next month! And I'm trying my hardest to not spend all the money but dang it if there isn't some CUTE stuff out there!! Beware of Pinterest!

ReplyQuote
Nicole Dlugos
(@myb-team-nicole)
23/01/2019 8:57 pm  

Thanks, Val! You are absolutely right, all they care about are the little things. We are very proud of ourselves for not going overboard with her first Christmas, the wrapping paper and boxes were a hit! My dream is to have kids around the same birthdays to combine the celebrations- so fun and less stress! 

Val Fawcett liked
ReplyQuote
Nicole Dlugos
(@myb-team-nicole)
23/01/2019 9:06 pm  

@melidouman That is exactly what I needed to hear, the age range is key to keeping the invites attainable and the kiddos entertained. Finding the right theme / entertainment for a 5 year old is very different with 10 year olds. I'm getting the impression from others that first birthdays are more for adults anyways! haha. 

@charliep girlfriend, you are telling me!! I've falling down the Pinterest rabbit hole one too many times. I throw bridal/baby showers left and right and try to keep things a lot simpler but love and appreciate all the ideas. BUT geeez OH man, these people go ALL out. Agree, one should be a celebration indeed- hooray! Happy one to your LO next month! 

ReplyQuote
CharlieP
(@charliep)
Active Member Fourth Trimester
23/01/2019 9:51 pm  

@myb-team-nicole

Also- to help alleviate all the toys and other non-needed items that are given for birthdays I say on the invite not to bring a present. That did not detour anyone for my first babe's birthday so this time I wrote that no gifts are needed, however if anyone feels like they want to not listen they can donate $5 and nothing else to her 529 plan. Fingers crossed this works because we have no space for extra toys!

ReplyQuote
Nancy Anderson
(@myb-team-nancy)
23/01/2019 10:11 pm  

@charliep

Ok, this is an amazing idea. Love the donation to the 529 Plan. I may have to steal that one  😋 

ReplyQuote
Nicole Dlugos
(@myb-team-nicole)
24/01/2019 5:13 am  

@charliep @myb-team-nancy LOVE that idea! We actually do not give "gifts" aka toys that parents resent us for or clothes they'll probably never wear to our nieces and nephews / godsons and goddaughters. We put money into a mutual fund for each of them for their birthday's/celebrations. They can't touch it til they are 25! I sure wish I had that when I was 25...heck, wish I had that now! 

ReplyQuote
Emily.Meeks
(@emily-meeks)
New Member Mom
08/02/2019 9:33 pm  

529 is such an amazing thing to have! 👏🙌 In my experience, nobody has donated to it in my kids’ 3 years of life. 😂 Hi, drowning in toys. But one thing people have done is follow our wish list on Amazon! Which usually includes practical things like shoes. And books because those don’t take up too much space. 😊 

ReplyQuote
admin
(@admin)
09/02/2019 10:32 pm  

@emily-meeks

wait whats a 529 plan? did I miss something? I loathe the amount of STUFF we have. we got rid of / donated literally two truck loads last year and I feel like we are still bursting at at the seems. Cant wait for march MYB lifestyle challenge where it's operation GET RID OF IT ALL.  Crazy thing is my kids don't really play with anything besides trains and cars. and we have 1000 of each lol. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register