Move Your Bump Community

Rib Flare with Tricep Extension  

RSS

beclyn10
(@beclyn10)
Eminent Member Mom
12/03/2019 12:02 am  

Hi Coaches!

I'm having one heck of a time doing overhead tricep extensions standing up without any rib flare. It actually seems like I can't put my arms in that position without rib flare, even before starting the exercise. I'm almost wondering if my lats/shoulders are too tight and that's part of the problem? Like I just don't have that range of motion on my body?  Is there anything I can do to help with this or is there a modification i could do? (I don't have any rib flare when I lay on the bench and do the overhead extension)

Thanks so much! 

ReplyQuote
admin
(@admin)
12/03/2019 9:12 pm  

beclyn10 -- so great that you are looking for this and aware. It could be lats, but honesty it could be many things.  have you tried releasing in-between your ribs? or foam rolling lats? even releasing obliques with your foam roller? You def have the range of motion but there is probably something mechanically restricting you right now. You can take this assessment and report back. I can send you a video of an exercise to add in to start helping but you need to work on the restrictions too as mentioned above. For now please sub tricep overhead extensions for tricep dips. https://www.postpregnancyabrehab.com/rib-flare-assessment

ReplyQuote
beclyn10
(@beclyn10)
Eminent Member Mom
13/03/2019 3:47 pm  

I have not tried foam rolling my ribs and lats. I'm really bad at doing rolling after workouts -eek! I took the assessment and I don't feel one rib comes out more than the other and I do feel air going to my back/belly/ribs.  I did complete the ab rehab so I feel like my core should be there, I have no separation (WOO!) and feel like my core is getting stronger. I'm going to try to release my ribs and lats and obliques and see if that helps and sub in tricep dips. Thanks for your help!! 

ReplyQuote
fit_tasha
(@fit_tasha)
Active Member Trying To Conceive
14/03/2019 9:56 pm  

I also cannot do tricep ext without ribs flaring. I took the assessment and the back left side doesnt expand as much as the right. I also have major anterior pelvic tilt so that may have something to do with it as well. Suggestions on exercises to correct this issue ?

ReplyQuote
admin
(@admin)
16/03/2019 2:53 pm  

@fit_tasha . this is def something you want to try to correct as much as possible before pregnancy bc once you get pregnant it will just get more exaggerated. My easiest advice would be to do a few sessions with a VERY good physical therapist with experience fixing both and even a couple sessions with a chiropractor.  There is probably some mechanical blocks happening, so without releasing those it will be tough/impossible to fix with posture and movement/exercises. Would this be a possibility? 

ReplyQuote
fit_tasha
(@fit_tasha)
Active Member Trying To Conceive
16/03/2019 3:32 pm  

Yes. Im Working on getting an appt w a PT now. Thanks. 

ReplyQuote
beclyn10
(@beclyn10)
Eminent Member Mom
17/03/2019 9:13 pm  

@admin - foam rolling is helping SOOOO much. I still am doing dips instead of overhead extension but I tried doing them at home with my 5 lb weight and I didn't have any rib flare. I have to go slow and really focus but it's definitely helping. Thanks for your help, as usual 🙂 

ReplyQuote
admin
(@admin)
18/03/2019 5:08 pm  

@beclyn10 sooooo glad to hear it!  Mechanical restriction can be a huge road block so lets keep it rolling (literally ha) with the foam rolling to keep things released and improving.  That's exactly right to start super light and work on execution and just build on that as function improves.  Good work!!

beclyn10 liked
ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register